Our international faculty
(U.S.), Professor of Economics and Philosophy, Director of the F.A. Hayek Program for Advanced Study in PPE at the Mercatus Center at GMU, Director of Austrian School Specialization
110 00 Prague 1
- BB&T Professor for the Study of Capitalism, Mercatus Center at George Mason University&University Professor of Economics and Philosophy Department of Economics, George Mason University
- PPE CEVRO Institute, Austrian School Specialization Director
- Affiliate Faculty, Department of Philosophy, George Mason University, 2011 –
- University Professor, George Mason University, 2007 –
- Professor, Department of Economics, George Mason University, 2003 –07
- Associate Professor, Department of Economics and Finance, School of
- Business, Manhattan College, Riverdale, NY, 1997 –98
- Assistant Professor, Department of Economics, New York University, New
- York, NY, 1990 –97
- Ph.D. in Economics, George Mason University, January, 1989
- M.A. in Economics, George Mason University, January, 1987
- B.A. in Economics, Grove City College, May, 1983
Fields of Interest
- Market Process Theory
- Comparative Political Economy
- History of Economic Thought and Methodology
- Economic Development
- Economic Methodology
- Austrian Economics
- Political Economy
- Informal Institutions
Awards and Honors
- 2011 Certificate of Appreciation for 2010‐2011 ASC Keynote Address: “The Tasks of Economic Education,” The Adam Smith Club, Campbell University
- 2011 Franz Čuhel Memorial Prize for Excellence in Economic Education, CEVRO Institute, Prague, Czech Republic
- 2010 Distinguished Alumni Award, George Mason University College of Humanities and Social Sciences
- 2010 Adam Smith Award, Association of Private Enterprise Education
- 2009 Faculty Member of the Year Award, George Mason University Alumni Association
- 2011 Fulbright Commission Scholarship, CEVRO Institute, Prague, Czech Republic
- 2004, 2006 F.A. Hayek Fellow, London School of Economics
- 2000‐ 02 Faculty Summer Fellow, Charles University/Georgetown University
- 1997 Faculty Fellow, Max Planck Institute for Research Into Economic Systems
- 2000‐ H.B. Earhart Foundation, grant for dissertation fellowship
- 2000‐ Oloffson/Weaver Family, grant for dissertation fellowship
- Robustní Politická Ekonomie pro 21. Století. Prague, Czech Republic: CEVRO Institut Academic Press, 2011.
- Context Matters: Institutions and Entrepreneurship. In Zoltan Acs & David Audretsch, eds. Foundations & Trends in Entrepreneurship series. Now Publishers, 2009. (co‐authored with Chris Coyne)
- Challenging Institutional Analysis and Development: The Bloomington School. New York: Routledge, 2009. (co‐authored with Paul Dragos Aligica)
- The Economic Way of Thinking, 10th ed., 2002; 11th ed., 2005; 12th ed., 2009. New Jersey: Prentice Hall, 527pp. (with Paul Heyne [original author] and David Prychitko, preface by Douglass North).
- The Battle of Ideas: Economics and the Struggle for a Better World. (The Sir Ronald Trotter Lecture). Wellington, NZ: NZBR, 2007.
- Is an Independent Non‐Profit Sector Prone to Failure? In Lenore Ealy, ed. Conversations in Philanthropy series. Indianapolis, IN: The Philanthropic Enterprise, 2004 (co‐authored with David Prychitko)
- Calculation & Coordination: Essays on Socialism and Transitional Political Economy. In Mario Rizzo and Lawrence H. White, eds. Foundations of the Market Economy series (London: Routledge, 2001), 352pp.
- Why Perestroika Failed: The Politics and Economics of Socialist Transformation (London: Routledge, 1993), 199pp.
- The Political Economy of Soviet Socialism: The Formative Years, 1918‐1928 (Boston: Kluwer Academic Publishers, 1990), 246pp.
- Edited with an introduction and conclusion. Handbook on Contemporary Austrian Economics. (Cheltenham: Edward Elgar Publishing, Inc., 2010.)
- Edited, with an introduction. The Legacy of Ludwig von Mises: Theory and History, 2 volumes. In Steven Medema, ed. Intellectual Legacies in Modern Economics series (Aldershot, UK: Edward Elgar Publishing, 2006). (Co‐editor Peter Leeson).
- Edited, with an introduction. Socialism and the Market: The Socialist Calculation Debate Revisited, 9 volumes (London: Routledge, 2000).
- Edited, with an introduction. The Legacy of F. A. Hayek: Politics, Philosophy and Economics, 3 volumes. In Steven Medema, ed. Intellectual Legacies in Modern Economics series (Aldershot: Edward Elgar Publishing, 2000).
- Edited, with an introduction. Market Process Theories, 2 volumes. In Mark Blaug, ed. The International Library of Critical Writings in Economics series (Aldershot: Edward Elgar Publishing, 1998). (Co‐editor, David L. Prychitko).
- "Quasimarket Failure.” Public Choice, forthcoming (co‐authored with Peter Leeson and Christopher Coyne)
- "The Servants of Obama's Machinery: F.A. Hayek's The Road to Serfdom Revisited?‐‐A Reply." Eastern Economic Journal, forthcoming (co‐authored with Nicholas Snow)
- “An Anarchist’s Reflection on the Political Economy of Everyday Life.” The Review of Austrian Economics, vol. 25, no. 1, pp. 1‐8
- “Anarchism and Austrian Economics.” New Perspectives on Political Economy, 2012, vol. 7, no. 1, pp. 125‐140
- “Exchange, Production, and Samaritan Dilemmas.” Basic Income Studies, vol. 6, no. 2, art. 8, pp. 1‐18 (co‐authored with Adam G. Martin)
- “Teaching Austrian Economics to Graduate Students.” Journal of Economics & Finance Education, vol. 10, no. 2, pp. 19‐30
- “Institutions First.” Journal of Institutional Economics, 2011, vol. 7, no. 4, pp. 499‐ 504 (co‐authored with Alexander Fink.)
- “The Genius of Mises and the Brilliance of Kirzner.” The Annual Proceedings of the Wealth and Well‐Being of Nations. 2011, vol. 3, pp. 31‐44 (co‐authored with Frederic Sautet)
- “Teaching Economics, Appreciating Spontaneous Order, and Economics as a Public Science.” Journal of Economic Behavior and Organization. 2011, vol. 80, no. 2, pp. 265‐274
- “Institutional Design and Ideas‐Driven Social Change: Notes from an Ostromian Perspective.” The Good Society. 2011, vol. 20, no. 1, pp. 50‐66 (co‐authored with Paul Dragos Aligica)
- “1985: A Defining Year in the Modern History of Austrian Economics.” The Review of
- Austrian Economics. 2011, vol. 24, no. 2, pp. 129‐139 (co‐authored with David
- “The Debt‐Inflation Cycle and the Global Financial Crisis.” Global Policy. 2011, vol. 2, no. 2, pp. 184‐189 (co‐authored with Christopher Coyne.)